Linux Infrastructure Specialist
Excellent opportunity for an experienced Linux Infrastructure Specialist to install, manage and maintain all Linux based systems within the group including web and internet based systems as well as provide 3rd-line support for Linux based systems including out of hours on a rota basis
- Installation and configuration of the Linux operating platforms to ensure that they are secure and available.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot system problems.
- Document and maintain the configuration of Linux systems.
- Manage and maintain both physical and virtual (VMware) server environments.
- Manage and maintain the databases used by the web infrastructure.
- Define, document and maintain key policies, procedures and controls in line with company standards.
- Establish and maintain appropriate procedures for monitoring system performance & usage.
- Conduct and respond (resolve queries/issues) to regular penetration tests.
- Regularly monitor all critical and internet facing Linux servers for signs of intrusion and respond appropriately.
- Design, evaluate and implement infrastructure technology to improve performance and efficiency of systems and processes.
- General administration of the Linux systems; user, folder and file management; management of DNS, NFS, SAMBA, SMTP, Apache, IP Tables etc.
- Manage and maintain the secure email gateway and internet cache servers.
- Define, set up, manage, maintain and document internal and external secure file transfers using appropriate tools and systems.
- Maintain and manage internet services such as DNS and MX records; PGP Keys servers etc.
- Write scripts to assist with procedures and monitoring controls.
- Provide support in response to requests for technical assistance in line with company quality & service level agreements.
- Report as necessary on performance against agreed KPI’s, objectives, timescales or standards.
- Work closely with development teams, DBA’s, architects and environment owners to design, plan and build infrastructure to meet business requirements.
- Develop personal or technical skills and capability through on-going training as provided by, or approved by HR.
- Provide out of hours on-call support on a rota basis for systems under SLA to clients.
- Ensure compliance with appropriate group and industry audit requirements.
- Carry out any other task associated with the role as reasonably requested.
Required Skills and Work Experience - Essential
- Educated to Degree level (preferably a computing degree)
- In-depth RHEL, experience (5+ years administration)
- Excellent scripting skills (Perl/Bash/Python)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- LAMP stack
- Monitoring: Nagios; Munin
- Managed File Transfer Solutions
- Clearswift Secure Email Gateway
- PGP Universal Server
- ITIL v3
Required Qualifications - Essential
- Computing or related Degree
- Driving license
- ITIL Foundation
Any Other Additional Requirements
- Ability to work to a shift rota
- Ability to provide 24/7 on-call cover on a rota basis