Electronics Software Engineer
As part of a multi-disciplined team and a modern Engineering department, this role involves the continuous improvement of the company’s world leading products through leading-edge electronics and software design. The Electronic and software Design Engineer will be expected to implement effective solutions to ensure the companies systems remain at the forefront of technology.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Engineering degree in an electronic/software discipline or equivalent qualification/experience (minimum HNC + experience)
- Knowledge of simple programming packages (Visual Basic,/ Visual Studio)
- Experience of further programming languages advantageous (C+/#, Jscript, HTML and derivatives)
- Practical knowledge of closed and active feed-back control loop theory
- Experience of device firmware programming
- Experience in custom PCB design and optimisation
- Practically competent in system and device troubleshooting down to component level
- Microsoft office capable (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience in ERP systems (SAP)
- Professional registration with a relevant Engineering body encouraged and preferred.
Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Electronic systems design of the Company’s bespoke special purpose scientific equipment and ancillary devices.
- Development, planning and specification of software, electronic systems, sub-systems and components.
- Covering fields of system analysis, monitoring, feedback and control technology.
- Assisting the R&D department in the development of new technologies from first principles
Primary Task List
- The generation of designs for purpose specific electronic components, sub-systems and assemblies.
- The generation of detailed drawings suitable for manufacture.
- Support R&D throughout conceptualisation, development, prototyping and troubleshooting of novel devices.
- Programming device firmware and software for system applications and new product developments
Secondary Task List
- Prototyping and troubleshooting support to sub-contractors
- Development of algorithms for control and analysis of ancillary tools
- Transfer of theoretical and operational knowledge of devices to the software department
- Accurate, thorough, consistent, pro-active, assertive
- Good communication skills
- Conscientious, self-motivated, capable of working autonomously when required
- Team player
Working Conditions / Environment:
- The candidate will adopt the working practices of a modern engineering office and a companywide quality system.
- Projects are conducted at both group and local levels so some travel is expected.
- Normally a day shift role, with significant flexibility required.